Animal Facilities Supervisor
Compensation: $60,150.00 - $115,800.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Supervisor is responsible for the assignment, monitoring and supervision of the daily activities of the Animal Caretaker staff, maintaining animal welfare, animal rooms, caging, equipment, feed, bedding and other supplies in accordance with standard and acceptable husbandry practices. The supervisor is also responsible for ensuring the above-mentioned activities adhere to all departmental Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and comply with the requirements and regulations of Federal, State and local government agencies.
List of Responsibilities
- Supervises daily activities of the IAS staff and assigns work, prioritizing to maximize productivity while always ensuring compliance with departmental SOPs, federal, state and local laws and regulations; Investigates and report any animal welfare issues as they arise;
- Monitors animal room environmental conditions for potential problems and takes appropriate corrective actions;
- Inspects facilities on a routine basis for cleanliness, sanitation, repairs, safety and adherence to departmental SOPs and guidelines;
- Ensures that all materials needed for animal care technicians are adequately supplied;
- Ensures that all equipment is adequately maintained and operational;
- Submits work orders and other requests as required; and ensures all preventive and routine maintenance procedures are performed as scheduled and recorded in appropriate logbooks;
- Orders supplies, feed, bedding, disposable items and chemical orders through the appropriate channels;
- Is primary interface and supports Principle Investigators with their studies and keeps in close communication to ensure optimum service;
- Keeps the Operations Manager informed of all problems, changes, activities and needs of their area;
- Oversees and collects accurate animal census; reviews data as required
- Reviews and approves Animal Caretakers time off;
- Reviews and updates applicable department SOPs and guidelines;
- Provides facility tours and guidance to new scientific staff, visitors, IACUC personnel and others when applicable;
- Trains caretakers in routine and specialized animal husbandry tasks;
- Manage IAS supply inventory
- Advises the Manager in the selection, hiring, counseling, and discipline of Animal Caretakers;
- Responds to after hour emergency calls;
- Assumes the duties of Manager in his/her absence;
- Performs other duties as may be required.
- Bachelor s degree and 2-3 years of related experience in laboratory animal care program is required. Equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
- Certification at the AALAS Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG) level is required
- Certified Manager of Animal Resources (CMAR) is desirable, but not required
Skills and Competencies:
- Thorough working knowledge of applicable SOPs, federal, state and local regulations, as well as safety standards as they apply to laboratory animal care;
- Good managerial and organizational skills; effective time management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Able to interact effectively with coworkers and key stakeholders in other disciplines to develop excellent communication and rapport;
- Represent Laboratory Animal Services department with transparency and in a professional manner;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Acts independently to solve local area issues as they arise; and assumes responsibility to ensure issues/concerns are addressed through to resolution;
- Seeks to apply technology and innovation to improve efficiency and solve problems
- Required to wear all appropriate personal protection equipment;
- Advanced knowledge of computer applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Email)
Founded in 1955, the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Einstein) is one of the nation s premier institutions for medical education, basic research and clinical investigation. A full-time faculty of some 2,000 conducts research, teaches, and delivers health care in every major biomedical specialty. The college has some 730 medical students, 193 Ph.D. students, 106 MD/Ph.D. students and 275 postdoctoral fellows.
Einstein s major strength, in addition to training physicians and scientists, is its science. During fiscal year 2015, the faculty s consistently high level of scientific achievement resulted in the awarding of more than $150 million in peer-reviewed grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Einstein is part of Montefiore Medicine Academic Health System, an integrated academic delivery system comprising seven campuses, including 8 hospitals, a multi-county ambulatory network, a new state-of-the art hospital without beds , a skilled nursing facility, school of nursing, home health agency, and the state s first freestanding emergency department. As the University Hospital for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore is a premier academic health system, employing Einstein s clinical faculty and training Einstein s medical students, over 1,300 residents, 420 allied health students, and 1,600 nursing students annually.
We have also been recognized by Forbes as one of the country's best midsize employers in 2019. Forbes ranked Einstein in the top overall nationally among midsize employers. Einstein ranked 3rd within the education category in New York State and 9th nationally among all midsize education employers.
The Albert Einstein College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Einstein seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...