Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things.
Serving customers in over 100 countries, our research scientists and engineers continue to invent and accelerate new technologies that will increasingly transform the way people and things communicate and connect.
Nokia is an equal opportunity employer that is commited to diversity and inclusion.
At Nokia, employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
The Head of R&D leads the global efforts of product development for Fixed Networks Cable business. As a member of the BU leadership team, this position has an ongoing active role to ensure the vision and strategies for the business are shared in clear and inspiring ways to all members of the R&D team globally. He/she will be responsible for maintaining the efficient operation of the agile process within the teams, setting targets for project completion, identifying and hiring candidates, competence development of their organization, and collaborating deeply with other managers within Nokia for successful solution outcomes. The candidate must provide technical leadership including the development of a comprehensive operating plan that supports the business strategy which can be clearly communicated to the R&D team to align goals and outcomes. The leader will understand relevant industry and business critical issues, the organization's operating model and procedures, and requirements from product management, using those inputs to efficiently execute the operating plan.
The successful candidate must play a key leadership role in driving significant on-going change to improve product and technology development in processes, skills and competencies, cross-functional integration, and employee engagement.
The ideal candidate for this position would possess the following critical competencies:
* Strategic Thinking: The successful candidate must have proven capabilities leading strategic planning efforts within R&D, while contributing to strategic planning efforts at a business unit level. The job requires both strong technical skills and good business acumen - the ability to connect R&D efforts to a broader business strategy.
* Collaboration and Influence Skills: The successful candidate must have demonstrated the ability to work effectively with a wide array of constituencies, including business peers, technical experts throughout the company, and outside partners. He/she must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to vary their style effectively to influence people in different situations.
* Results Orientation: The successful candidate must have a track record of delivering results. They will have proven they are able to set stretch targets and deliver multiple projects, on time and on budget. They will get the most from their people and will take steps to make processes more effective and efficient.
* People Development: The successful candidate will be able to attract, develop, and retain a strong team. They will be an effective coach and mentor, using both individual input and leveraging company HR processes to build a strong bench.
* Customer and Market Engagement: meet with customers, suppliers and partners representing Cable Business products and technology to demonstrate technology leadership and drive innovation
* As an active participant in the Cable Business Leadership Team, he/she will support key transformational business and strategic initiatives to ensure continued commercial growth and organizational success.
* Play a key role in architectural, strategic, and commercial decisions to develop high quality solutions.
* Working closely with Marketing, Operations, Sales, Legal, and Finance, along with other entities such as Bell Labs and CTO, to ensure R&D plans and strategies are integrated with broader business unit and company activities.
* Attract, retain, and grow the top-tier engineering managerial and technical staff required to execute the strategic plan and provide for succession planning.
* Define and coordinate activities between Cable Business R&D locations to operate at optimal efficiency and insure technical competencies are covered in multiple locations. Travel to the R&D locations on a regular cadence to engage with and motivate the teams.
* Act as a project manager and mediator when necessary. Take responsibility for managing dependencies between stakeholders.
* Leverage interpersonal strengths and talent management programs to inspire all members of R&D staff to push the boundaries of the possible and to always be ahead of the next generation of technology. Coach the team towards continuous improvement, driving efficiency and aiming for quality.
* Demonstrate deep technical understanding of software and hardware development competencies.
* Serve as site manager for the FN Cable Sunnyvale, CA campus
* A BSc in an engineering discipline.
* 10+ years of progressively responsible management experience in research and development, preferably with experience in leading R&D teams across several regions.
* Demonstrated success creating environments where Innovation can flourish; broad view of new technology.
* Comprehensive knowledge through experience of related disciplines, cost reduction programs, capital and operations budgeting, product portfolio management, continuous quality improvement.
* Demonstrated success creating and leading empowered, high-performing teams.
* Strong interpersonal skills and ability to speak contemporaneously about technical and business strategies to senior technical and business executives
* Ability to work out of Sunnyvale, CA; domestic and international travel required (<20%).
* An understanding of how to manage intellectual property in contracts, open source licenses and patents
* Ability to manage customer escalations caused by outages or product defects
* An MSc in an engineering discipline or an MBA is desirable.
* Experience in cable TV industry: DOCSIS, video, etc.
* Knowledge of RF systems or wireless technologies
* Experience with PON, IP, other telecommunications technologies
* Experience building hardware systems, working with an operations team and contract
manufacturers to ensure scale and built in quality of delivered product