Quinnipiac University's Office of Public Affairs is seeking a highly skilled Executive Speechwriter. In this role, your primary responsibility will be to write speeches, remarks, and other communication that showcase the vision and the guiding principles of Presidential university leadership for a variety of audiences. You will be responsible for preparing original, professional, effective, and compelling high-profile communications that are relevant on local, regional, and national platforms and capture the vision and message of the University. As a member the public affairs team, you will work in close partnership with the Office of the President to execute on aligned messaging for key initiatives and strategic priorities.
About Quinnipiac: Quinnipiac is a private, coeducational, nonsectarian institution located 90 minutes north of New York City and two hours from Boston. The university enrolls 7,000 full-time undergraduate and 3,000 graduate and part-time students in 100 degree programs through its Schools of Business, Communications, Education, Engineering, Health Sciences, Law, Medicine, Nursing and College of Arts and Sciences. Quinnipiac consistently ranks among the top regional universities in the North in U.S. News & World Report's America's \"Best Colleges\" issue. Quinnipiac also is recognized in Princeton Review's \"The Best 380 Colleges.\" The Chronicle of Higher Education has named Quinnipiac among the \"Great Colleges to Work For.\" For more information, please visit www.qu.edu. An education at Quinnipiac embodies the University's commitment to preparing graduates for 21st century careers and citizenship, creating an inclusive, excellence-driven community, nurturing and positively impacting internal, local and global communities and fostering lifelong connections and success. The University believes in educating a diverse student body to become valued and contributing members of their communities through vital and purposeful educational programs. Students engage with real-world issues through practice and considering different perspectives. The University's innovative curriculum further prepares undergraduate and graduate students to understand their roles and responsibilities as members of the Quinnipiac community as well as the larger national and global communities. Responsibilities:
* Write, edit, and produce intellectually-inspiring content for speeches, talking points, presentations, keynote addresses, emails, video scripts, and other communications of significance in collaboration with the Office of Public Affairs for the Office of the President * Perform extensive research, verify content, and transform complex concepts into clear and meaningful communications for speeches and remarks * Adapt written style and content for the voice of the President's Office * Integrate higher education theory and the University's strategic goals into inspiring and impactful remarks * Utilizes writing to convey philanthropic goals in an inspiring and compelling manner * Partner with social media manager to ensure an aligned voice for the President and/or Provost * Engage and cultivate relationships with numerous constituencies including, but not limited to, University leadership, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and critical external stakeholders to understand the viewpoints and dynamics of these populations * Translate complex concepts into clear, compelling language for a variety of internal and external audiences * Discretely addresses confidential, sensitive and/or delicate assignments, exercising sound editorial discernment and maintaining the trust and confidence of the President, Provost, senior executives and their staff * Collaborate in a team environment to contribute to the development and execution of strategic communications that support the goals of leadership, with research, writing, editing, and consultation across a wide range of offices and individuals
* Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, communications or business or other relevant field required * Master's degree preferred
* 5-7 years of experience in professional writing, speech writing, and/or technical writing. Experience in a higher education setting and familiarity with higher education (or academia) and knowledge of issues and trends in higher education is required. * Education and training may be considered in lieu of experience
* Must demonstrate the ability to independently juggle multiple assignments, meet strict deadlines and handle sensitive, confidential information with utmost discretion * Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, style, and punctuation and appropriate editorial style and publication guidelines * Demonstrated ability to write in a variety of styles for audiences including individuals, foundations, and corporations, and a demonstrated knowledge of the philanthropic goals and preferences of such organizations * Thorough research and fact verification skills * Thorough attention to detail, project management and organizational skills * Ability to initiate and complete tasks with minimal supervision * Ability to prioritize work, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a time-constrained environment * A high level of integrity, credibility, respect, and team collaboration * Flexibility and adaptability: a willingness to undertake both mundane and high-profile tasks with enthusiasm and energy * A demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion and the ability to work and effective interact with diverse populations
Due to the nature of the role, you should be willing to work outside of normal business hours.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Quinnipiac University is considering only those applicants who have valid authorization to work in the United States. Quinnipiac University does not sponsor employment based visas for this position.
Applications must be submitted electronically and include:
* A resume * A letter of Interest * Three (3) relevant writing samples * Salary expectations
If selected to advance, you may be asked to complete additional writing samples during the interview process.
Quinnipiac University has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity and inclusion throughout the University community and welcomes candidates who enhance that diversity.
Quinnipiac University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Associated topics: administrative, advocate, attendance, attendance clerk, college, elementary school counselor, healthcare, register, secretary, speech language pathologist